Thursday, September 9, 2010

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

I finished this silly book yesterday, so I thought I'd write a quick note about it. Seth Grahame Smith is the same author who wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so I had some expectations for this book. For the most part I wasn't let down.

The writing was clear and easy to read (translation: elementary and accessible to every reader). There were some transitions that were a bit confusing. Also, at the beginning there was a story line where the supposed author happens upon the journals and diaries of Abraham Lincoln which reveal the real truth behind his life and Presidency.

The thing I didn't like was that in telling a fun story, the author kind of trivialized his accomplishments and made Honest Abe a vengeful and self-serving man who also happened to do something great for the country in the process. Also, the ending was anti-climactic and the very end was a little dissatisfying.

The story was fun, though and I really enjoyed all the tidbits about Abe's life - so much so that I am now on the "hunt" for a good Abe Lincoln biography. I have learned a lot about his presidency in history classes, but I didn't know much about his back story. I would be really interested to compare the true story of Abe's life to the storyline in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment