Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spring 2012 Read-a-Thon Wrap Up

The verdict is in: I am a fan of the read-a-thon.  Here is a list of the things I loved:

1. I got through almost all of my book club book, which probably wouldn't have happened had I not forced myself to take the day to do some reading;

2. I liked reading other blogger's updates, and the cheerleading posts that were going on;

3. I liked the snacks (duh!);

4. I liked how supportive my husband was - even if it really was because he got to spend the evening watching sports. 

Here are some things that I'll change because they didn't work the best for me:

1. It's a really solitary event - despite the other bloggers and the cheerleaders, it can get kind of boring and lonely.  Maybe this is because of the book I was reading, but I don't think so. I think that I'd like to make it a little more social next time.  This means I'll be commenting more on other blogs, and stuff.  But it also means that I'd like to have some people over and really make an event out of it.  I have some ideas, and they'll have to be nurtured over the next couple of months in preparation for October's read-a-thon. 

2. I think I need more of a variety of books.  I really liked The Unbearable Lightness of Being, but I think it's the kind of book that should be read over a longer period of time.  It needs to be savored, not scarfed down. 

3. I need to eat less.  This will make me less tired.  I also need a more comfortable set up.  My back really hurts from sitting on my couch all day.  I could also have benefited from a change of scenery - I was threatening to ride my bike to the park to read, but I was too lazy.  I shouldn't have been so lazy, but it's hard to be un-lazy when you're reading all day.

So, I read over 250 pages in my book, and I read for maybe only a total of 7 hours.  Next time I'm going to read more, and I'm going to plan my work so that I don't have to work on the weekend.  But I'm really happy I participated, and I'm excited to try it again more fully.  

No comments:

Post a Comment