Thursday, September 7, 2017

Reasons I Stopped Posting

Listed in descending order of importance, here are the reasons I stopped posting over the past 4 years: 

1. Motherhood 
2. Lawyering 
3. Divorce 
4. Dating a non-reader 
5. Starting my own appellate law practice. 

It's been a rough few years, people. Lots of life changes. But I want to start posting again! I miss it. I miss the community of book bloggers. I miss feeling connected with similar people. 

Being a mom is a big change, but I thought maybe I could get my daughter to pick a book to post about every once in awhile, and get her involved in it. Genius, right? Yeah, I know. All my brain power has been lying dormant, so I'm going to have a few genius nuggets here and there. 

Nothing puts a damper on a desire to learn like reading and writing and critical thinking all day at work! But now that I have my own practice, and set my own schedule, maybe that can change. Oh wait. It's a practice that involves even more writing than before. Well, cheers. 

Divorce followed by depression put a huge damper on my desire to be productive. But it didn't put a damper on my writing. I'm also happy to report that we made it through the process alive, and we didn't kill each other. To the contrary, we get along pretty well for divorced people, and we are shockingly good at this co-parenting thing. (I suppose we'll see how it turns out in 15 years or so, but for now, everyone seems to be as well-adjusted as can be expected.) 

Dating a non-reader was the thing that dampered my reading the most. He said I read more than anyone he knows. And I probably read 10 books in the entire year we were together. Yeah - WERE together. It's ok. It was a rebound relationship. He's a decent person, but obviously not for me. 

I actually think that now that things are rolling with my practice I'll get better at time management. And any writing I can do will help hone my craft so to speak. So I will dust off the books on my shelf and get back to it. I think I should start with something frothy and delicious!    


No comments:

Post a Comment