Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Golden Globes

Though I am a great reading fan, I am mostly a fan of entertaining stories. That includes movies and TV.

The 66th Annual Golden Globe Awards are airing this Sunday on NBC. Watch them, and take notes - especially if you're thinking of coming to my Oscar's Bash later this year. Often movies and actors that win Golden Globes win Oscars. You'll want this information if you're going to have a chance at winning the "pin the Oscar on the nominee" contest.

I usually try to see the movies that are nominated for awards, but I haven't done so well this year. Here's what I did see - and it all involves a lot of crying on my part (then again, what doesn't?).

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - nominated for Best Drama. I was so involved in the story that I didn't notice the movie was 3 hours until it was over and I looked at my watch. I cried so hard that I didn't even notice that the old man behind me was kicking my seat. He appologized after the movie, but I could hardly tell him I forgave him because I was still crying. It is a beautiful story, and the acting was fantastic. I also think this movie should win an Oscar for special effects - the old Button looked just like what you'd imagine an old Brad Pitt would look like.

Revolutionary Road - nominated for Best Drama. This movie was also brilliantly acted, but I wasn't so involved in the story. I couldn't identify with the characters as much. Instead of imagining myself as one of the characters, as I did with Button, I felt like I was on the outside, analyzing and trying to understand them. Kate and Leo have excellent chemistry, though, and it's difficult not to feel something of what they're going through. I think I will check out the novel by Richard Yates - maybe I can get more caught up in that.


Burn After Reading - nominated for Best Comedy. This movie was funny, but in a dark way - as are all Cohen Brothers' films. It is certainly worth watching at least once, but I'm not so sure it deserves an award. The writing was very clever, and the delivery and timing of all the lines was good, though, so I don't disagree with it being nominated. However, as I haven't seen any of the other Musical/Comedy nominations, I can't really comment.


I'm not sure what to think about Tom Cruise being nominated for his supporting role in Tropic Thunder. I feel like it's a bone tossed to Tom to shut him up. Please, oh please let anyone but him win! He wasn't that funny. Why does everyone who puts on a fat suit get praised for their performance? Although I think Tom Cruise is a strange and arrogant individual, I still usually like almost every movie he's ever been in, so I can't say his career choices are bad - nor is his acting. I just think this particular nomination is a result of someone trying to keep him from whining.

As far as TV nominations go, here are my opinions/picks:


I loved True Blood so much, and I really hope it wins, but I have a feeling the award will go to either Dexter or Mad Men. I don't think House or In Treatment has a shot. But what do I know? I don't have anything solid on which to rest that opinion, but I'm sticking to it.



I do think that Jonathan Rhys Meyers should win for playing King Henry VIII in The Tudors. He's got nice abs (unlike the real King Henry VIII), but he's got the tyranny thing down pat. There are plenty of worthy opponents in this category, though, so let's hope he's a little more successful at acting than King Henry VIII was at monogomy.



As far as comedies go, I'm rooting for Weeds even though I've never even watched it. Mike likes it a lot, and he has pretty good taste, so I'm going to go with that. 30 Rock is pretty funny too, but to be honest I am getting a little tired of Tina Fey. She's smart and witty, but she's also everywhere.



Finally, for the love of God, let Neil Patrick Harris win for his supporting role of Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother! He makes that show. Without him the show would not still be on the air. It's a shame he only gets billed as supporting actor.



For the full list of nominees check out http://www.goldenglobes.org/, or http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b72803_complete_list_of_nominations_2009.html

No comments:

Post a Comment