Saturday, April 21, 2012

Read-a-Thon Updates

Hi there. So, progress is happening, but slowly.  For one thing, I'm doing laundry.  Correction - WAS doing laundry (yay!).  I also spent some time catching up on reading blogs I follow.  That counts as reading, right?  Well anyway, I'm not a big stats person, but here's the update:

Approximately 100 pages in The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Approximately 100 blog posts.

Approximately 4 hours

Approximately 5 cookies, 1 cup of tea, 1 giant bowl of popcorn, 1 bottle of water and 4 chocolate covered raisins. 

Now back to reading! I'll have to stop around 4 pm to do some work, but I'm hoping to be back to reading later this evening.  I'll leave you with a couple quotes from the book I'm reading today:

"he had no idea whether it was hysteria or love."

"His love for Tereza was beautiful, but it was tiring ... [Then Tereza left] Now what was tiring had disappeared and only the beauty remained." 

I love that idea of love at the beginning of a relationship - is it real? is it lust? is it a desire to find love and be loved, rather than actual love?  Then juxtapose those beginning feelings with the ending where a person romanticizes the relationship and forgets everything terrible, only remembering the beautiful - not in a "I want the person back" kind of way, but more like nostalgia - glad to not be going through it again, but glad that it happened, and appreciating the value of it. 

I don't know that this is the point the author is making - mainly because I'm only 100 pages in and I don't know the full story of these lovers yet, but this is what I think of when I read these two sentences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment